History of Arthur the Seahawk and the LSC-PA Mascot
The mascot and colors were selected by a committee of Lamar-Port Arthur students, staff, faculty and administrators that met several times during 2004.
The need for a mascot arose when The Texas State University System Board of Regents approved women’s softball and men’s basketball programs at Lamar-Port Arthur to begin at the start of the fall semester in 2004.
Dr. Sam Monroe, president of Lamar-Port Arthur, joined LSC-PA Athletic Director Bill Worsham, basketball coach Don Bryson, softball coach Vance Edwards and Texas State University System regent Kent Adams to unveil the new school mascot, colors and sports logo during a public event in the Carl Parker Center at the college.
The Seahawks name has a historical connection to Port Arthur, Monroe said. Port Arthur was the home of the Seahawks professional baseball team during the early 1950s. The Seahawks played in the Gulf Coast League and won the league championship in 1952..
The college’s athletic teams wear uniforms featuring the school colors – navy blue and columbia blue.
Mike Rhodes of Mike Rhodes Design in Vidor created the new sports logo in addition to changing the color of the official college logo to the new school colors. The sports logo features a seahawk with its wings extended flying over a graphic “Seahawks.”
“Arthur,” as the mascot is now known, came to life in 2010 when a new custom-made costume was purchased.
The mascot is part of the Seahawks Dance Team and performs at home basketball games, pep rallies and other college-related events, including area high school homecoming parades.